West Ham manager Nuno Espírito Santo was backed with the faith of a three-year contract by chairman David Sullivan, and it looks like he’ll be backed in the transfer market too.
West Ham make transfer plans after Nuno appointment
After the Portuguese took charge of his first game on Monday, overseeing a 1-1 draw away to Everton, reports have suggested that West Ham will support Nuno with potential new recruits in January.
The former Wolves and Tottenham boss was brought in to steady the ship following the departure of his predecessor, Graham Potter, who was abruptly sacked last Saturday.
The writing appeared to be on the wall for Potter, despite senior members of the West Ham squad telling friends and family members that he was still the right man for the job (The Telegraph), following a disastrous start to 2025/2026.
The 50-year-old also recorded West Ham’s second-lowest Premier League win percentage during his time in charge, behind only Avram Grant, who relegated the Hammers in 2011.
9. Sam Allardyce
30.7%
10. Julen Lopetegui
30%
11. Gianfranco Zola
27.8%
12 Graham Potter
26.1%
13. Avram Grant
18.9%
via StatMuse
Unlike Julen Lopetegui, who saved himself from the axe time and time again with the odd win before Sullivan pulled the plug, that wasn’t to be the case for Potter. The tactician was handed his P45 just six games into the new season, with Nuno taking West Ham training the very same day he left.
Tasked with revitalizing a squad that has underperformed, Nuno’s appointment has been met with cautious optimism from the Hammers faithful.
The 51-year-old guided Nottingham Forest back to European football for the first time since 1995 after a fairytale 2024/2025, having joined the club when they were nearer the relegation zone, and Nuno replicated similar feats at Wolves before his very brief time at Spurs.
West Ham’s defensive frailty from set-pieces this season, combined with conceding the most goals of any Premier League side so far (14), is a key issue that Nuno will be looking to address immediately.
That being said, the Irons are also arguably in need of more attacking flair in the final third to ease their reliance on star winger Jarrod Bowen.
Taking this into account, it is believed that West Ham are prepared to move for AC Milan’s versatile attacking star Christian Pulisic in the winter, following the USA international’s sensational exploits last term and brilliant start to 25/26.
However, with Pulisic’s side in the midst of a Serie A title race, it is unclear whether the former Chelsea forward would be prepared to up sticks for a Premier League return at this stage.
West Ham planning £35 million offer for Galatasaray star Baris Yilmaz
A more attainable attacking alternative could be Galatasaray star Baris Yilmaz.
The Turkey international was linked with a move to West Ham last January, and they reportedly made an offer for him, so the club’s recruitment team are more than aware of his quality.
Yilmaz finished last season with 14 goals and six assists in all competitions, starting this campaign in equally excellent form with seven goal contributions in his first seven games.
He also won Galatasaray’s penalty against Liverpool on Tuesday night for Victor Osimhen to fire home, causing Arne Slot’s side real problems throughout, with the 25-year-old now back on West Ham’s radar.
According to reports from Spain, West Ham are planning a £35 million bid for Yilmaz, and that sum would test Galatasaray’s resolve.
Interestingly, Football Transfers have likened Yilmaz to Bowen as a “similar” player, but the forward can also play as a striker to ease the burden on injury-prone duo Niclas Füllkrug and Callum Wilson.
“Yilmaz is different,” said journalist Graeme Bailey in the last January window.
“He’s a fascinating player. He can play anywhere across the front three and is a very clever footballer. He’s a good age.
“Galatasaray are willing to do a deal. He’s an interesting one to keep an eye on.”
